So, our valentine's Day dinner consisted of my running up and down the stairs trying to watch how the beds were put together and trying to eat, Brian trying to control Owen, who was literally vibrating in his chair with excitement, and me running back down stairs when it sounded like I needed to mediate. It got a little stressful. Finally, we took them upstairs to see their new beds. The wait was worth it. They were so excited. Owen decided Mathias should sleep on the top bunk with him, and Brian and I should sleep on the bottom bunk. They have been sleeping together in a queen sized bed for over a year, and it was hard for them to understand that they would not be in the same bed. They were very excited about the new beds, but a little hesitant about sleeping apart. Their closeness had been protection and comfort from things that go bump in the night. I showed Mathias that Owen was just above him. He got up and blew him a kiss. After spraying monster spray all over the room and setting up a monster trip line in the doorway, they settled in...
Oh wait, no they didn't. I ended up in the bottom bunk with Mathias, something I never do, but they both needed that comfort. We all watched the moon in their room change phases for awhile and they slowly calmed down, drifting peacefully in their outer space room.
I kissed them goodnight and went downstairs. Surprise! Brian planned a quick date. He ran out to the store while I was up with the boys and got the fixings for ice cream sundaes. Maybe it was not the best Valentine's Day dinner, but dessert would surely make up for it. Yum. I can't remember the last time I actually piled a bunch of toppings onto a big bowl of ice cream. We both sat on the couch with heaping bowls full of ice cream, reeses pieces, dark chocolate pieces, hot fudge, and whipped cream. There wasn't a whole lot of conversation while we were gorging ourselves, but it was nice just to sit and relax together after the crazy excitement of two boys and bunk beds. Ahhhhhh.... Sorry, no pictures of the sundae. It was too big to fit in the frame. Instead, here is a picture of the moon in their room.
These dates may not be something huge that takes a lot of planning, but they are still giving us everything we need... a little connection after a long crazy day. I loved it, Babe! You can't go wrong with ice cream.
It's the little things that make it all worthwhile!
ReplyDelete