Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Date 4 of 52: The Lesson

This was Brian's date, but he is crazy busy with homework!  I decided to share it and he can add his view when he has time.

When we started Project 52 I thought a lot about date ideas, and then ideas started popping into my head for dates I thought Brian should take me on.  Of course they don't count if he doesn't think of them himself, right?  Well, I decided to use my telepathic powers and plant a date idea in his head.  I wanted him to teach me to play guitar.  I also mentioned the idea to a few friends of mine.  The more mind power the better!  Not long after that, having the patience of a 2 year old, I started dropping verbal hints.  When I mentioned that my finger nails were nice and short and would be perfect for my date idea, he figured it out.  Little did I know one of my friends had also taken matters into her own hands.  She friended him on Facebook and sent him a message telling him of my desire to learn to play guitar!  Brian and I tend to look at Facebook together, and I saw her message.  She was so BUSTED!  Of course I immediately forgave her since she is a great friend who only had my happiness in mind.  So, I got my guitar lesson!

Brian started out by teaching me the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, and how to read guitar tab.  I played the trumpet growing up and new how to read music, but tab was totally new to me.  It took my brain a little while to switch gears and come at it from a different angle.  Then came the actual playing of the guitar.  It was really hard!  My fingers would not stay in the right spots no matter how hard I tried, and I could not press hard enough to dampen the strings all the way.  I sounded great.  Brian had fun watching the faces I made as I concentrated on the chords and had a good laugh at the pitiful dying animal noises coming from the guitar.  My finger tips started hurting after about 5 minutes, but I struggled on.  In the end I learned a handful of cords and the opening riff to Metallica's Enter Sandman.  By then my finger tips and Brian's ears were screaming for mercy.
My awesome and sexy teacher!
Brian was a great teacher.  He was patient and did a great job of explaining everything.  Then he sat back and just let me try.  When I was frustrated, he encouraged me.  When I complained that my fingers wouldn't work, he said it was normal.  I just needed time and practice so my finger muscles could form a memory.  It was a great date!  I hope to pick up the guitar a few times a week and play a little.  Maybe if I toughen up my finger tips he can teach me a tune or two!
Ouch!  My soft finger tips were numb for several hours afterwords.

1 comment:

  1. Ouchie your poor fingers, but I'm still proud of both of you for making the time and thank goodness for good friends to intervene :)

    ReplyDelete